Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Why is this so hard?

Even after all of this debate in class, I'm very unclear on my decision about illegal immigration into the United States, because it is a touchy subject with several key points, be it pro or con, that make perfect sense in the context of the debate. Personally, I think that a more moderate program based on political compromise may be more beneficial than a plan that drifts towards extremes.

What I would have in mind if I had any say politically in the issue is beyond me. It just seems to me that the issue has been polarized in a political arena to such an extent that it is broadcasted as a black and white issue, rather than one that could be solved with some common ground in the middle. For example, I believe that laws such as the ones in Hazleton that penalizes those that offer basic necessities and jobs to illegal immigrants are too harsh, for they strip them of their ability to live at all. However, other laws, such as the one that governs our policy on native-born children which gives illegal immigrants incentive to sneak across the border should be abolished.

Other areas come into play as well. The US economy is reliant on migrant workers to provide some of our labor forces and immigrates, both legal and illegal, contribute to our labor pool. However, with a continued flow of illegal immigrates coming into the United States, there is the side note that native born citizens are losing their jobs to illegal immigrates who will work for lower wages. While it is not an easy issue to deal with economically, other solutions such as globalization may prove to be the long-term solution, allowing for some of the wealth of our country to flow into the coffers of other countries where living conditions will improve as well.

I really think that most of this just went around in circles, with me chasing my own tail. I think I'm just going to stop trying and do something else...

No comments: