Tuesday, October 17, 2006

NOT Procrastinating! [And finally reaching an opinion.]

Even after all of the research and discussion we've done on this topic, I am still a little confused about my own feelings on the subject. I feel like it is not my place to judge. However, there are some things that I do know. I think that people should be able to come to this country to make a better life for themselves. I think the working conditions for immigrants are terrible; yes, many Americans don't want the jobs that immigrants take on, but it is mostly due to those conditions. I think that our system right now is at fault for making it so long and so difficult for immigrants to become citizens. But when it comes to who exactly is admitted and other such circumstances, my opinions become fuzzy. Morally, it seems wrong to turn away someone who is simply seeking a better oppurtunity (at least, it does to me), but the well-being of everyone else has to also be taken in to account. How can you create a filter for who can enter and who is rejected? I don't know. People say that immigrants take up tax dollars and such, but the points have come up in class that immigrants do not see the benefits of taxes for the first five years they are here. I think all in all, everything evens out. Sure, not all immigrants are good people, but not every American is all that great, either. Sometimes, people will blame anyone and everyone else but themselves.

So, I guess I've realized where I stand.

No comments: