Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Pig Latin is not a culture

Okay, Passport Photos was an "ok" read but there were things there that really irked me. The idea that a passport is a story just didn't fly with me. If you would tell me that what's on my passport (which by the way I do not have one of) is a story for whoever looking at it about me, then I would say "hold on a second". What would stop me (besides the FBI/CIA) from putting false information on a passport. Would you consider that to be a fiction story? I would just consider that a sly attempt in getting into a country with hidden baggage. Along those lines, I get myself to the comment made by Jesse Jackson. He says that Mexicans (in general) are not aliens but migrant workers. I say that he is a justified idiot. If you are from any other country working here legally, then yes I would consider them to be a migrant worker but at the same time I would also consider them an alien. Alien by definition can mean "foreign". Mexicans are foreign-ers. What a crazy concept. Now if you are from another country and are working here illegally, then I would not consider them migrant workers, but more along the lines of illegal aliens or foreigners in the country by ways not recognized by the government. My final comment about this also has to do with Jesse Jackson. He says "ET was an alien" in defense of his comment on migrant workers. Well Rev. Jackson, I do believe that (once again) you are completely inept. Well duh ET was an alien but that is different from actual humans considered aliens. Foreign is foreign, whether you are from Canada or from some far away planet out there.
Now that I am done ranting about that, I shall talk about the other story, How to Tame a Wild Tounge. I liked this story because I got to read Spanish and understand it. 4 years of spanish in school was NOT going to go to waste...not on my watch. She talks about the Chicana language and trying to express her heritage. She also says about all the languages she speaks either because she had to or because she picked it up somewhere. Of course, 75 of the 80 minutes of class Monday was almost completely focused on the idea of language. One person went so far as to say that language is culture. Ummmm...no it's not. As mentioned in my title, pig latin is not a culture. I can speak pig latin but it doesn't mean that I am in a culture, it just means that I either have no life or am just that weird. English is not a culture, not in the slightest. English is used as the lingua franca (aka Principle language used to conduct business) in a majority of nations throughout the world. English is taught as a second language in a large number of countries. It has become the closest thing to a universal language that the world has ever had. If language was culture, then France has the same culture as the US (Well at least Louisiana's cajun country). If you go to Paris, you will find out that there are more people speaking English than there are speaking French. It is because they have adapted to use the English language.
I believe that the "Your in America, speak American" idea is stupid. Like it was said on Monday, there are rednecks in this country that push that and don't even speak good English themselves. Just look at George W. Bush. I am not going to explain that because it speaks for itself. I am going to say here exactly what I said Monday, if you are coming from another country to the United States, then you better have the decency to respect our culture enough to learn something about it. And the opposite also applies. If I want to move to Germany, I better learn German and maybe even Polish, French, or Austrian. Of course, I want those that come here to express their culture. I just don't want those to impede their culture on others to the point that it is almost forced.

To end, I am going to put something that is English-oriented because this guy does not know what he is talking about even though he should have. That and because I know some people will find it funny if they know what I am talking about. "The Internet is a series of tubes..." My work here is done.

No comments: