Monday, October 16, 2006

IMMIGRATION

Although this may sound very stupid and naive to some, I never really knew about the huge controversies over Immigration until I began researching for this class. Its as if I lived in some cave, hidden from the outside world. It may be due to my unenthusiastic attitude toward staying current with global news. From reading about this issue I think it has sparked my interest in learning more.
I began searching and I came upon a website called http://www.immigrationdebate.com/ it was a very interesting website. The article I read was completely for immigration. This article completely slammed all the negative impacts of immigration. The author proved that these negative set backs were instead positive. For example, "The most convincing argument against immigration is usually their effect on wages, but current economic policy is already focused on fighting this wage pressure to reduce the threat of inflation and subsequent depression. As such, the chief argument against becomes an argument for increased immigration. Most importantly, let us not forget that these immigrants are people who simply want a better life, just like our parents and grandparents, who all came to the United States in similar situations. Helping them in their quest for a better life makes us rich in ways which transcend money. " What he is saying in this debate is completely true. In my opinion this point is a indeed a very accurate point. We are so worried about money that we forget that most, but not all these immigrants are coming to America for a better life. They have been taught that this is the greatest place and why must we insist on tearing there dreams apart? I do agree that not all of these immigrants are here for "the right" reasons, but we have natural born Americans who haven't made "the right" decisions either. We must not punish all the immigrants due to a few that aren't morally correct.
In this website there are a bunch of articles both positive and negative towards immigration. It was nice to sit down and read what these people have to see and read their opinions. I am so indecisive when it comes to this issue. On one hand I do agree with immigration and then when it comes something on the negative side, I somewhat agree. Its so confusing. I feel like i am stuck in a really bad storm when trying to decide whether i like immigration or whether I hate it. I am on the nuetral end.

No comments: