Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Immigration, Pie Charts, and No Proof-reading

I noticed that Lakoff and Ferguson gave some valid points in their discussion of the "immigration problem" but I could not take their article seriously. If they have the time to critique the government's reform policies and explain the meanings of the terms used for these immigrants but not have the time to read over or heaven-forbid spell/grammar check their paper, then I see no reason why I should accept the paper as useful. I just not impressed by them. I will agree with some of their points, however. The term "illegal alien" is somewhat dehumanizing. I am not and will never go so far as to say that the term makes them sound like they're from outer space like our good friend Jesse Jackson so blatantly put it (I don't like him anymore for that). I personally would use the term illegal immigrant (no quotes for me there, people). The idea that these immigrants are violating a minor law of undocumentation is true. I am still not going to call them violating immigrants or undocumented immigrants...too long and annoying to say. At least there's illiteration in the illegal immigrant term. But seriously, if you break a law of any kind, that is ILLEGAL. Shoplifting is ILLEGAL. Technically, jaywalking and double-parking are ILLEGAL. Trying to sneak into the country is ILLEGAL. My point is that there are many things that are ILLEGAL and not just the felonies that these two threw out there such as murder and rape. ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL (unless your have my philosophy that it's only illegal if you get caught, which might be their philosophy too). I have learned something from this article though. I am somewhat of a conservative. I don't believe in all that was said there but I was leaning to their side more.
As far as the Luntz article, I am not afraid to admit that I skimmed over it here and there. 25 pages is a lot to take when it comes to political jargon about illegal immigration. That and I am not sure if I have a good enough attention span for that much reading right now. I just came back from home yesterday afternoon, so sue me. Anyway, there was a lot of how the government should regulate this kind of thing. I do like the idea of deportation if an illegal immigrant commits a harsh enough crime. Like the quote said, they commited two crimes. The idea that the government should make sure not to target legal immigrants by mistake is something that we have been talking about for a while in class. They did nothing wrong and came to the US the correct and legal way. I do like the last page of this article, because all you have to do is look at those headlines and get a general idea of what the whole article is about. And I did NOT print this article out. 25 pages is too much for me so it's saved on my computer. Yay me.

P.S.- Tonk, I'm the Juggernaut!!

No comments: