Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Illegal Immigration and Such...

700 of the 1,951 miles of US - Mexcan border will be walled. What kind of wall? I have no clue. Could be a thirty foot embattlement, or it could be a picket fence. Hell, I'd say, save the money and go ahead with the picket fence idea. Either way, it'll be about as effective. You're covering a little more than a third of the border. That's like a medieval castle having a moat to go around 3/4 of the city. This wall will not be the immigrant-stopping juggernaught that I'm sure it's made out to be. Um, hi? The people will just WALK AROUND IT. If they're willing to walk illegally across our border to get into the country, they'll take the extra time to go around our obstacles. And, if this 700 mile area is the heaviest illegal immigration spot, why don't we just send a few bombers over the border there, and nuke the towns on the other side? That'll send a message to Mexico, right? Come on people... if you're going to do something, do it right... build the damn wall all the way across or continue to do nothing. The way I see it, illegal immigration needs to be brought to an end as much as we can help it (note that I do not offer a solution for this) and legal immigration needs, from what I understand, to be made a little less difficult. If the people can come here legally (and would benefit from doing so, from what I know) then why wouldn't they? On the other side of the coin, we could pass legislation to make illegal immigration punishable by death, and set up patrols to shoot anyone who tries. Crazy, huh? It's just as outrageous as doing nothing. From my perspective, building a wall that covers only 36% of the border is as good as doing nothing. Which, I think everyone understands as unacceptable.

ps - Andy, I'll smack you with my pimpcane!

No comments: