Tuesday, October 17, 2006

If I Ran For Office

I know am a more informed citizen on the issue of illegal immigration; however, all that I have learned has not done much to change my opinion on the situation. I have more information at my disposal now with which to defend the opinions I do have though. I am not a supporter of complete compassion towards people who come here illegally, but nor am I in favor of the complete absence of compassion. I don’t think that people who have not come here through the proper channels should be able to enjoy the same benefits as those who have. I don’t agree with major league baseball players who set records using steroids, and I am a strong supporter of tightening regulations and stiffer penalties for those who break these laws, but I also don’t feel that it would suit any purpose to try to go back through and take those players who cheated out of the record books. In my opinion, what’s done is done; it’s more important to work to change things in the present and not dwell on the past.

I don’t think that this wall will do to much to keep out illegal immigration; however, it is a strong sign that the United States is getting serious about fixing this problem. That alone is a step in the right direction. I also am not in favor of anything that will negatively affect those immigrants who did come here properly. If these immigrants will suffer as much from these new regulations as illegal ones will, then that is not a good solution to the problem.

Illegal immigrants shouldn’t be sought out once they’re here. I agree strongly with the new laws that were implemented in Houston; that if someone is found in violation of another law, police have every right to find out if they are here legally or not, but as long as they follow the other laws of this country, I feel that it would be a violation of personal rights to arrest someone just on suspicion of being an illegal.

No comments: