Wednesday, October 04, 2006

La la la la

The 3 readings were very interesting. I like reading along and either agreeing or totally disagreeing with what is presented.
Honestly living only 15 minutes away from Hazleton I was surprised by the two articles. There was so much I didnt know. Of course I knew about the uprise in illegal immigration but i never could have imagined what an uproar this issue was causing. Although I agree with the mayor in his effort to protect his community, the way he is going about it does not settle well with me. He seems to be isolating the hispanic community. There isnt any reason why documents cant be translated to spanish. As Ellie mentioned in class on Monday, English is a hard language and we should not subject these people to such cruelty. Its unjust. The two articles on Hazleton made me open my eyes and realize that this world isnt as simple as it used to be. So many things are changing. People have to realize that not everyone is going to be pleased when this issue is resolved. It will always remain a problem in the community.
Lingo Jingo was interesting to a point. It got very repetitive and it seemed like the article was biased. It only addressed one side of the arguement. It had great supporting statistics but it didn't really fit my idea of an outstanding reading.
The first two readings were awesome. I love reading about things that I notice and know a little about. I am so shocked by the present need to make English the only language. We need to open our eyes and greet new cultures to continue to make America a very unique environment. What is the world coming to???

No comments: