Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Law and Order: MBP (Mexican Border Patrol)

*dun dun* (Law and Order sound) October 17, 2006 10pm North Campus
haha Sorry, I had to. (On a side note, I have NEVER watched Law and Order once.) Okay, here's my stance on the whole illegal immigration debate for this paper. If you cross the US border from any country in methods that are illegal by the United States' standards, then that is illegal and is a crime. I do not believe that an illegal immigrant should be immediately deported if they are found out to be living here but they should be given time or fair warning first before getting deported. Jobs ARE being taken by American citizens by illegal immigrants. You cannot tell me otherwise because they have to be taking them from somebody, aren't they? The best way that I can think of changing this is for those who want to come to the US to better their lives to find the legal ways of coming here and not trying to sneak in.
There should be ways for immigrants to gain citizenship in a more time-efficient manner. I know that marrying a US citizen automatically makes you a citizen but at the same time, that can be illegal if it was done for the sole purpose of gaining citizenship. 7 years is somewhat of a long time to become a citizen. 5 years is just as long to receive benefits from the government. I would cut the time at least in half but that is just me. I am not the one creating the New Berlin Wall in Texas. There better be graffiti on it like Germany's wall in a month, that's all I gotta say.

No comments: