Monday, October 16, 2006

A New Kind of Theme Park

When I read our assignment I turned first to Wikipedia for its take on illegal immigration. At the top of the page I saw things which looked like warnings saying, "This article may not be compliant with the content policies of Wikipedia. To be compliant, it must be written from a neutral point of view and must not include unverifiable, unsuitable material, or original research," and "This page is currently protected from editing until disputes have been resolved. Please discuss changes on the talk page or request unprotection. (Protection is not an endorsement of the current page version,)" which I thought helped to solidify the fact that this is currently a very large issue. I also found a section called "Terminology in the United States" which discussed different terms used in the United States and which were politically correct and incorrect according to different people. Then I went to NPR and searched for programs on illegal immigration. I chose one and began to listen. I was startled to realize it was a story about a park in Mexico where tourists pay to pretend to be illegal immigrants. At first I thought this was a very strange sort of “vacation” to take, but then something changed my mind. One man who runs this park said, “This is a tribute to our brothers who have migrated and gone after the American Dream. This walk is an act to raise awareness; it is a challenge so you know how the migrants suffer and so you value what you have here.” I thought he had a good point – someone needs to keep the people from crossing the border, and why not do it by simulating the border crossing?

No comments: