Friday, October 06, 2006

Hablo espanol. Does that make me unamerican? 2

When I first read these articles, they stirred up a lot of feelings for me. Looking back on my first post, I don't think that I adequately completed the assignment, that I was too caught up in my emotional analysis to really pay too much attention to the construction of the articles themselves.

I think one of the most important passages, if we are discussing language use and how it affects how someone reads something, is from the article "P.A. City Puts Illegal Immigration on Notice."
It is a quote said by Michael Hethmon. "If you are going to use the word 'illegal immigrant', you have to be very careful when you are defining that term that corresponds to federal immigration classification. You can't use terminology that mixes and matches illegal immigrants and legal immigrants." It is my opinion that in all the articles the "Americans" we are protecting are the typical white people.

I don't in any way feel that this is the intention of immigration regulations and restrictions, but in labeling particular races and ethnicities as "illegal" and the cause of all our troubles, there is no opportunity for distinction among those who are here illegally and those who aren't. I don't think anyone is going to look at a white male and say "Oh look, he's an illegal immigrant," but I believe the average person will look at a Hispanic or a Mexican and say that.

When I began to write this blog, I was looking for the "key words" such as we, Americans, those types of words. However, I realized as I was typing that although I am still straying from the topic of language and letting my emotions do the talking, I have become much more aware of how I'm using these words and what my reasons behind their use are.

No comments: