Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I wish...

I know a lot of people have strong opinions on the topic of immigration, but personally I find it hard to side with one side or the other. I feel like I’m in the middle. I’m the type of person that always wants to help everyone. I feel that this makes me side with those who say we should get rid of immigration laws and make it easy for people to enter our country. Since I also know two people who are trying to obtain US citizenship I feel greatly for all those immigrants who are stuck in this long and complicated process. These reasons make me believe that instead of the US making it harder for immigrants to come here we need to make it easier. We need to help people in other countries who don’t have the amazing opportunities that we have here in the US. If people are fleeing for religious or economic reasons I believe we should welcome them.

But then the realistic side of me kicks in and says, “NO!” I see the potential problems that this openness to immigration could cause. If immigrants come to the US and many of them end up staying here and never returning home that could lead to some serious over population problems. The US can’t take on all the problems of the world…I realize that. I just wish we could.

No comments: