Monday, October 02, 2006

Language is a barrier; language is a connector

What can I say about these two pieces? I really enjoyed this weekend's reading passages. I've always thought of language as another kind of art, which is why it's always appealed to me. Anyway, back to the readings. I kind of read them backwards because I couldn't find the first piece. I enjoyed Anzaldua's 'How To Tame A Wild Tongue' even though it was pretty long, especially when she makes the passages bilingual. Now, in no way am I proficient in Spanish - I'm a German minor, get real now - but the way she structured everything in her paragraphs made me feel like I understood what she was saying.

Amitava Kumar's 'Passport Photos' was an interesting take on illegal immigration. It was a new view that I can honestly say I've never read before, and although it didn't change my view on illegal immigration, it did broaden my views on some of the topics it covered. I think reading this article was pretty risky as an assignment, considering it's political values.

:) Can't wait to discuss these in class!

No comments: