Tuesday, October 03, 2006

PA, Pots and Lingo Jingo

The “PA City” article was the first article I read and already I can see what a controversial issue immigration has become. The law that has been passed seems very extreme to me. I agree that illegal immigration is wrong but I don’t think this is the right way to deal with it. Instead of forcing them out of cities we should perhaps focus on accepting them and integrating them into the particular society. This law is only going to cause more friction and distrust between the two cultures. It’s not solving the problem either. It’s just passing it on to another town.

The “Melting Pot” article was based on the same topic but I think gave a somewhat different viewpoint. This article to me seemed to focus on the more negative effects of the new ordinance. The one thing that seemed to stand out to me in this article was the statement that the town is unable to adapt to their changing demographics. I can understand this. People are generally opposed to change. I wouldn’t like to see the town I’ve grown up in suddenly change what seems like overnight. I would want to hang on to the image I have of it but again, I think this law is the wrong way to go about it.

The “Lingo Jingo” article was very informative on the topic of “English-only.” To me, I don’t think it should be one or the other. This country was founded on the basis of many cultures coming together and it should remain that way. We have more advantages with the many different perspectives available to us. Everyone should give up their convictions and be open to different cultures. If Spanish speaking people are willing to learn English, the English speaking people should be willing to learn Spanish. It’s a two way street.

No comments: