Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Teens accomplish nothing? No Fiske that's you! (HEHE)

Throughout this reading Fiske makes it seem as if teenagers going to and being at malls accomplishes nothing. Well, I feel the same way about Fiske’s piece. After reading only the first paragraph I had to step back and really think about what I had just read. Not because it was intriguing, but because it just made me go…huh?! Now being someone with a short attention span this was definitely not the way to catch my attention. This fact really disappointed me because before reading the piece the title really caught my eye and had me excited.

The rest of the piece was not much better at all, actually it wasn’t better. I completely agree with what Kelly B. said, I felt like Fiske was speaking way above my level. He never tried to connect with me the reader…he was kind of just in his own little world talking to himself. A few other people said how this article was repetitious, and I couldn’t agree more. I’m just glad the article wasn’t any longer, so I didn’t have to hear again how annoying, horrible, and tricky teenagers are. Way to make us feel good Fiske!

The only thing I found interesting in this article (the same as “Phillygirl”) was the facts that Fiske stated about the percentage of a new product succeeding. I couldn’t believe that new products have an 80-90 percent chance of failing. That’s just insane! I know that Fiske was trying to get at the idea of space and how we use it, but I don’t feel as if he did a good job of attaining that goal.

No comments: