Monday, September 11, 2006

And then there's the Open Door Community

I couldn't help myself...after all that stuff I posted on Jane Jacobs, I thought I would do a little search on Atlanta's Open Door Community, the organization that Murphy Davis co-founded. Very interesting organization. Here's how they describe their organization:
The Open Door Community is a residential community in the Catholic Worker tradition (we’re sometimes called a Protestant Catholic Worker House!). We seek to dismantle racism, sexism and heterosexism, abolish the death penalty, and create the Beloved Community on Earth through a loving relationship with some of the most neglected and outcast of God’s children: the homeless and our sisters and brothers who are in prison.
They produce a monthly newsletter called Hospitality that could serve as some good primary research material. Getting a sense of their language and politics can also help situate the essay "Woodruff Park and the Search for Common Ground" we read today. I also think the title the newsletter is telling as to the kind of guiding metaphors the organization subscribes to. The Open Door Community has compiled a PDF book of writing from Hospitality, called I Hear Hope Banging on My Back Door available for download (it's 98 pages long!).

No comments: