Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Poor Fiske

I loved this essay from the very fist sentence to the last. I loved Fiske's writing style. His use of advanced vocabulary and alliteration in the intro grabbed my attention and kept it. Maybe it's because I'm an aspiring English teacher but his use of literary devices and varied sentence structures just made me go crazy. I have to admit that I was so blown away by the way he wrote the essay, that I wasn't even paying attention to the subject matter. I was so focused on how much I liked the writing style that I didn't even stop to consider whether I actually agreed with Fiske's arguments. How could I disagree with something so well done. So I was very surprised to log on here and see that the majority of people that responded hated it. After seeing this negative response I reread the article and tried to focus on Fiske's points. I can see why many people would be angered that he generalized teenagers but I personally didn't see a problem with it. I didn't see it as him saying that teenagers are bad for going to malls and drinking or breaking the rules. I think his point was that malls are not soley used for shopping any more. I know personally that if I actually wanted to shop I would go by myself to the mall, it would be much more efficient. Instead I go with my friends and socialize. I don't hide alcohol in my soda can but I goof off and if I happen to see something I like then I'll buy it. So I wouldn't be surprised if I get in a debate with some people tomorrow in class but I think that combination of style that Fiske used and the quotes he took made his piece a strong and persuasive one.

No comments: