Monday, September 11, 2006

Full House? WTF?

Ok, I am going to attempt to write my thoughts on the reading, but I am becoming more and more distracted by the fact that my roomie is watching Full House and loving it. Who the hell watches Full House anymore? I am so confused... LOL. Anyway, onto the reading. I rather enjoyed "Sidewalks." The way it was written was easy to understand, thought provoking, and it kept my interest. I love her theories about cities having a certain unspoken, intricate code of morals and standards that the citizens follow with or without law enforcement. If you think about it, it's true. If a woman is being mugged in the middle of the street, is the whole town just going to grab a beer, pull up a lawn chair, and watch? No! They are all going to do what they can to help her and kick the bad guy's (or girl's) ass because it is their obligation to do so. Each citizen has a code of justice they are required to follow. I think that's awesome. I also agree with her theory that the way one part of the city looks shapes the overall opinion of the place. If the sidewalks are crappy and there is graffiti everywhere, people are going to think the entire city is a dump. If there are friendly people walking their dogs, kids playing in the sandbox, and old people playing ultimate checkers, then people will think that the city is a friendly, fun place.
Now onto the other thing we had to read. I hated it, haha! I was reading it while listening to Pink Floyd, so naturally my ADD kicked in and I became so bored with it that I was having a laser light show in my head. Nah, that's a lie, but you get my point. The park (or whatever the hell it was supposed to be) sounded like a crap hole. The author's descriptions of the place (how the fountain looked like a rusty tank and the park looked like a fortress from the north) really turned my off not only to the article, but to the place in general. I am a very visually oriented person, so you can imagine my disappointment with this place. The one thing that really stuck out for me while attempting to read this was the part about the Olympic athletes. The author says that in order to house Olympic athletes temporarily, they booted out people from their houses/apartments. I can imagine that happening... our society is so fascinated with fame, fortune, and glory, that of course they would do anything to house a famous athlete. Other than that, I have no other thoughts on this article. I couldn't even finish it. Back to Pink Floyd.

No comments: