Monday, September 04, 2006

Different=Similar

After I finished reading Culture Is Ordinary I wasn’t sure how I felt about it, and I also wasn’t exactly sure how to take it. I went back, reread some parts and looked over some other people’s opinions on it. Finally, I was able to come to a couple conclusions on the piece.

To start, I wasn’t crazy about Williams writing style. The way he wrote this piece, especially the story in the beginning made it seems dreamy in a sense that made it hard for me to stay focused on his point. After reviewing it again I was able to take from it the point that we all are on the same journey. An issue I like to see addressed. Too often do I see people who feel as if they are the only ones to encounter a certain situation, or experience a certain event. It can be uplifting and inspiring to hear someone tell you that everyone is on a journey, and that everyone’s journey entails encountering many of the same things.

I also appreciated the main idea that was carried throughout this piece--the idea of culture being ordinary. I didn’t know if I agreed with Williams when I first saw the title of this piece. But, after reading it a few times and contemplating on the issue I came to see that I do. I agree that culture is…ordinary. Culture is different. It is different for each person, and it is different in various situations. But, it is in and through those differences that culture becomes ordinary. Culture’s differences are what make it the same for each person, and in each situation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like how you described William's style as dreamy, that was a perfect adjective. It's a shame that you didn't like that style though. I've always liked iot when writers make pieces feel that way. For whatever reason it has a way of keeping my attention, like I have to really read to grasp what is going on.