Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Culture is Ordinary

Let me start by saying I am not one to understand a story just after reading it. That is why it took me soo long to post about this short story. I need to reread a piece to understand it even in the slightest bit. So below is my interpretation of the story and forgive me if it doesn't relate to yours.
Williams starts out by describing his hometown. He used unique words and colors to illustrate a vivid picture in my mind. I can see myself in his surroundings. After describing his hometown, he continues by introducing some of his family members. He tells of his hardworking grandfather and then of his father. Then he states, "Culture is Ordinary." He claims that the way in which he was brought up was to see the shaping of minds.
I agree with Williams. Although every society has its own shape, beliefs and traditions, they all have a common ground. Even though every person is different in their own particular ways, we can all find some similiarities if we sit down and try.
So although it may be short. This is what I got out of it. Hopefully during class today I can open my mind upp a bit more......tootles

No comments: