Sunday, September 10, 2006

outside the south dining hall

This is my page of description from one particular spot on campus. The printers didn't work in the computer lab, so I'm sending it here. Enjoy!

Outside the South dining hall, I find myself sitting at a picnic table with a group of good friends. It feels great outside, the weather is nice for a change, and people are walking around on their own little missions. I look inside through the window and see people eating lunch and laughing, everything looks inviting. The windows sprawl nearly 180 degrees and seem to reach to the sky from my viewpoint down on the bench. The wall of window creates a sense of open space and freedom. It’s as if the people inside and outside are barely separated, yet when you stop and observe, you notice many others doing the same thing. It feels like a shared sense of social interaction, even though most people are just eating. This whole area has a much different feeling than the cafeteria upstairs, where it sometimes becomes a challenge to find a place to sit down.
The fact that there are a few inviting tables outside for people to eat and socialize on tells me that whoever planned the layout for the area was thinking about creating a positive, comfortable place for people to spend their time. Half the time I am sitting out there, I am not eating anything, I am simply talking to other people and having a good time. I think that all the open space out there, including the lawn just beyond the table area, contribute primarily toward the purpose of social interaction. The majority of people on campus come to eat every day, so it is a central location for meeting up with people and talking, relaxing, and having fun.
Overall, I would say that this area outside the dining hall is my favorite place on campus, due to the atmosphere that exists there most of the day, including evenings. It is a focal point of sorts, and if nothing else, a place to refuel.

No comments: