Sunday, September 10, 2006

My walk around, because I couldnt print it

Taking a general walk around campus to find an object of inspiration in which to write about led me to only one decision. The South Dinning Hall. Not only is it a gathering place for the students, a place to eat, a recreational center for those who enjoy sporting, it is also a place for relaxation and study. In fact, the best part of the SDH is its exterior: the benchs, the grass and trees, and the stonework.
All of these contribute to the overall feelings of relaxation, peace, and well-being. I find that I cannot go up to my room at night for a sleep if I do not spend a little time outside of the SDH, not only eating, but having a late night cigerette, and talk with my friends. The atmosphere is welcoming, and the purpose of the small courtyard is for the gathering of friends.
Even the architectural designs seemingly welcome a person. The glass façade, streaked with outlines of silver. The words “South Dinning Hall” in a fun, inviting script (red to catch the attention and hunger of people), and the semi-circular exterior drags the eye around the outside. Not only that, but the roof has boggled my mind since coming here and spending these nights staring at the building. I have long since wondered how to get up on to it, to sit in the middle and look up the DMZ, to be participate in its majesty for just a moment, before Public Safety arrested me.
Still, the SDH is the most interesting “truth” on campus…to talk of truths. It coincides with the reading we had. It’s a friendly place, where people can watch each other go about their business. A place to eat, a place to watch others, hang out, smoke, have a laugh.
All in all, it is the quintessential piece of architecture on campus.

No comments: