Monday, September 11, 2006

I just want to shop...

I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the "Shopping" essay. As someone who likes to go to the mall to hang out with her friends and have a good time, I was expecting a fun, interesting read. I should've known better since it was written by a man. Just kidding! I really am. That was low. This piece never fully caught my attention and it didn't leave me wanting more. I'm not quite sure what it was about the article.

Maybe it was the way the author wrote it. It felt too factual for me and it felt like he was talking above my level. I like feeling involved in a story and Fiske never invited me to his party. I think it was great that he researched a place filled with all sorts of culture but it sounded like he was talking about things that he never got involved with.

In class today, we were talking about experience and how important it is to knowledge. Fiske talks like he stood off to the side and just watched people walking by. He just observed what was happening and made judgments about people and issues that he never got to know or experienced. I understand that the main function of a mall is for consumers to go and give stores their money but for many people teenagers in particular the mall is a safe place to gather. I see no problem with that.

Overall, the article was well written but a little too boring for my liking.

No comments: