Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sidewalks, Parks and People

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed “Sidewalks.” It was an interesting read for me and presented concepts that seem so obvious yet I have never thought about. When I think of sidewalks I think of the ones in the neighborhood where I live. They are perfectly paved with perfectly placed trees and well cut grass on the one side. Nice, well built houses sit behind them and the picture screams of the cliché suburb. The other image of sidewalks I have are the ones of New York. They are crowded and filled with people focused on getting to their next destination. When asked which one I’d rather wander on at night, I would have to say the suburban sidewalks like the ones at home would be my choice. Now, I’m not saying that I am suddenly filled with fear for my neighborhood after reading this article but I now know that my decision shouldn’t be made so easily.

It’s true that if streets and sidewalks are filled then the city or town or whatever would assumedly be safe. You have people all around you and that idea reinforces the never walk by yourself in a parking lot idea. I think the author has the right point of view in this selection. I like her writing style as well. It wasn’t lofty or hard to understand. It was on a down to earth level and although it didn’t feel like the author was talking to me, it felt like she thought of me as an equal which I enjoyed.

I also really enjoyed the second reading, “Woodruff Park.” The author’s tone was mostly negative throughout the piece but I felt that made the reading all the more effective. You could tell the author was truly passionate about her viewpoint and that made me more open to her point of view. I agree that beautiful places to look at are usually just for that purpose, to look at. I know personally I enjoy things more when I can get involved in them. I think it’s a shame Woodruff Park was reduced to what it was.

These two pieces to me convey somewhat of the same idea. People make places inviting and welcoming. People make things exciting and fun. Empty spaces are depressing. People want to be around each other and I think both passages try and get that point across. I think both do a very good job of it.

No comments: