Thursday, October 25, 2007

Workers of the World, Relax

De Botton's essay was a little saddening to me, especially his last line; "...that work is often more bearable when we don't, in addition to money, expect it always to deliver happiness." I disagree, I think that work could and should deliver something more. Sure, it's not going to deliver happiness all the time, but nothing ever will. Everyone has good and bad days, but if you're lucky enough to find a job that you get some kind of personal fulfilment out of, then you're one of the luckiest people on earth. But I don't think that I'm ignorant for thinking this. Maybe I'm too optimistic, maybe too idealistic. I think that if we all lower our expectations a little, we'd be more satisfied and like our jobs more. Then perhaps the unemployment rate would stop increasing and productivity would go up. But then again, I'm too optimistic and too idealistic. But, somehow, I'm okay with that...

No comments: