Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Catering to the Customer

I found it interesting that Nobody Beats the Wiz and How Corporate Law Inhibits Social Responsibility were placed next to each other in the text. The first was focused on how to treat the customer with respect while the latter was essentially the opposite. I wonder why the publishers did that...

Anyway, I thought that Nobody Beats the Wiz was very intriguing. It seems that the advice that the future salesmen were given on how to treat the customers well and to cater to them and not primarily focus on making a sale could be applied to everyday life. Those tips about treating people with respect and actually listening to other people would benefit everyone, not just salesmen. That statistic on listening did concern me. People only listen 45% of the time? That's absurd. It doesn't surprise me though, people are more concerned with their own problems than listening to those of others. But I digress. I think that students should be taught classes like these in school. These tactics would benefit society immensely. People skills are way too important to be pushed aside. Perhaps if we learned to get along early in our school years, we would have better interpersonal skills as adults. That would not only help our relationships, but is invaluable to other aspects of life as well. I think that training classes such as the one mentioned in the text would benefit all members of society, regardless of what their job titles are.

No comments: