Wednesday, October 24, 2007

An Ideal Conversation

I thought that the past few discussions have gone pretty well. I wouldn't call them "ideal" necessarily. Personally, I think an "ideal" conversation is one that has a purpose, not just one that that is taking place just for the sake of having a conversation. I didn't find that the topics we were discussing were very appealing to anyone in our class, pardon me if I am wrong, and I felt that the reason our discussions were going nowhere was because no one felt very strong about any of the issues presented. I also don't feel like an "ideal" conversation is one that must include a debate. I honestly don't see the point of arguing simply for the sake of arguing. If people do disagree and can share their points of view with one another, than that's great. But if we all do agree, then what is so horrible about that? Maybe I just don't understand. What I also don't understand is that everyone is expected to contribute by offering their point of view. I know that I don't talk much in class, and that makes me appear lazy and uninvolved in the conversation. I don't talk not because I am uninvolved, I don't talk because I don't have anything worthwhile to say. And I am involved, I just choose to participate more in the listening aspect of the discussion that the talking one. I just don't like to feel like I have to say something just for the sake of saying something.

I think an ideal conversation is one where everyone gets something out of it. One that is productive and lets you see things perhaps in a different perspective. Now i know you're all thinking "what's up with this girl, she just said that arguing is not necessarily good". There are other ways of seeing things in a different light than having a debate. I think a good discussion is one that gets you thinking and one that you can both listen and talk with ease. An ideal conversation is one that keeps you thinking long after it is over.

No comments: