Sunday, October 21, 2007

Wiz

It makes me feel so much better that salespeople really do have a concrete agenda to swindle money out of you. Who knew they had to go through all those days of training. I guess The wizard of Oz may be necessary to show teamwork. I find it interesting how Cheever never even mentioned the store's advertising. It didnt even sound necessary because of their tactic to use fear in order to make you buy something. I think the thing that makes the article worth reading is that Cheever already had a higher status before he took the job and he says that status changes the way people see things. I think he saw himself as having high status. Not only is the article very informative about the sales business, but i kind of saw the writing as a biography of him. You can almost get a sense of his whole outlook in the chapter. His points that he is was racist and thought people were dumb for choosing certain positions really are unneccessary. Overall, his piece is entertaining. I think his knowlegde of the term SNAFU seemed to be learned from personal experience. Also the the seven meanings of yo really show how important communication skills are.

No comments: