Thursday, October 25, 2007

I think she's got it.

Reading Ehrenreich’s “In Which I Am Offered a ‘Job’”, I had myself an epiphany. She recalls, “Here we are, in a weird corporate niche created by the total failure of the American health-care system, and I am grinning with delight at the deepening misery.” So I racked my mind, trying to think of a job not built upon others’ misery. AFLAC makes money off of people’s inability to procure health insurance from the government. Later on, Mary Kay comes into the picture. How do they make money? By telling women they’re ugly. They play on the insecurity of people regarding their own bodies. Kutztown University wants us to believe we won’t land a job without a degree. Otherwise, why go to college? Our entire economy is built on the fact that people are miserable. And if they’re not, there’s a commercial or movie telling them they ought to be. de Botton is right, workers of the world should relax because the world’s workers are also its consumers. We don’t need our job to give us happiness anymore than we need some powder on our faces. Happiness should be derived from one’s own personal search. Huh…Buddhism in Economics. There should be a course on that.

No comments: