Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What affects our success?

I feel as if I can relate to the writer Sanders. Why? I grew up in a family where my father was as Sanders puts it the "toiler" and my mother was the "warrior". My father was a coal miner and he did work very hard. He is only 45 years old andover the years he has been in the hospital for numerous oberations due to his job. He also currently has a broken back and an infection in his lungs. My mother was the soilder, well not a soilder persay, but she was in the military. Although I can relate to Sanders in this way, I can not relate to his belief that he would grow up to be nothing more than a toiler or a warrior.

I always knew that I would go to college. I always knew that I would never work in a factory or join the military as a last resort. I knew this becuase I knew I didnt want to be like my mother or father, not that I'm ashamed of them in any way, I just felt that they worked to hard all becuase they had never gone to college. My parents indeed always stressed the idea of college because they knew the impact it would have on our futures. So though I agree with the idea that our future decissions and goals are influenced by the adults in our lives, I do not beleive that it means we will grow up to be mirror images of them.

No comments: