Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Our Essays

Hey everybody, I'm 70% sure I won't be coming to class today (I think I caught a stomach bug, I heard something was going around), so I wanted to discuss my essays with the class and I figure this is probably the best way to do so.

My first essay, after reading it a few days after writing it, is wordy and goes into likely unnecessary details about the works I picked to write about. It does come to some points, but it's not perfect. Cutting just above 2 pages, the paragraphs are long and unorganized. I am proud of myself for using quotes, though, because that is something I have trouble doing in my writing. Although unorganized, I did find it difficult to make my writing more brief. I tend to ramble and feel as though every point should be explained and stressed in its own way. Hopefully with this class and "TSIS" I'll be able to make my said points more narrow and less wordy, per se.

For my second essay, I took my first essay and edited it using "TSIS" templates as instructed. It did get shorter, and I feel as though it comes to better points that I wanted to stress. I deleted anything I felt that did not belong, and ultimately I think it strengthened my paper. Revising is a smart move for essay-writers because you never know when you might come across something that sounds awkward or even unnecessary, or confusing to the audience. I would totally recommend "TSIS" to any college student in a writing class or who finds themselves writing anything period, especially if it argues a point.

I hope everybody did well on their essays! Mahoney - I emailed you both of mine if you would like to take a look at them. See you guys Thursday hopefully.

1 comment:

jen1989x said...

I hope you feel better soon!!