Wednesday, October 24, 2007

In Which I am Offered a "Job"

While reading this article, In Which I am Offered a "Job", by Barbara Ehrenreich I noticed a particular part that related to our discussion last Thursday. The author states, "I have been found fit to represent a major corporation to the general public, apparently on no other basis than my ability to sit still and listen meekly for two long and dreary hours" (528). I found this statement interesting because it almost confirms our statement that their are jobs available if we are willing to invest the time and energy into pursuing them. In class we had mentioned that Americans complain the immigrants are taking the jobs that belong to the poor. But this paragraph to me says the opposite. If someone wants a job, they can have it, if they are willing to spend the time listening to the employer. The fact that she did not take that job, because it did not have benefits and it had a low salary also confirms that the stereotype of success in America is based on money. To relate this to the pre-reading question, about whether these jobs are completely without value, I would have to say no. As a society, we need people willing to pursue these jobs. I think that most people take part in these jobs for some financial security, they enjoy their work, or that they can not move up the ladder for fear that they will not have any income if they fail. While some of these jobs offer more prestige than others, they are all still important and valuable in our society.

No comments: