Monday, October 01, 2007

Which NUMBER? I don't think so.

I'd like to respond to the first passage I read for Oct. 2nd's assignment: Dacia Charlesworth's Which Number Will You Be? First, I'm not a number, nor will I ever become a number. Second, she definitely twisted around an Einstein quote and made it her own; he wasn't talking about "breaking illusions" about beliefs, he was talking about physics in a literal sense. At least, that's how I interpret it. How does she know that he was leaning towards an insight about educational beliefs? I'll tell you how; she doesn't!

As for the theme of the passage, I would like to say that I do agree with her speech about a decline in positive interest in higher education. The idea that you can make more money doing something you like by going to school for a few years is one of the most appealing ideas for any teenager graduating high school. I'd say I was one of them, but elementary school teachers don't make an extraordinary amount of salary. Anyway, naive (I apologize, I can't do the crazy double-dotted i) college students need to realize that they're going to these classes for the real thing. It's not just "get a good grade and get out" deal; this is what's setting you up for your life and your career. I think it would be best if college students applied that sort of attitude to their studies, as Charlesworth said in the passage as well. I do not agree on placing all the blame on teachers, however, because I have come across teachers who preach this belief. The students should realize that there is no "real world", there is only the world you see before you, and every bit of it makes it "real", even television in ways (hey, it's there, so it's real).

No comments: