Monday, October 10, 2005

This essay was kinda boring, but...

Okay, so I don't really know what to say about the contents of the article, other than the obvious fact that it was an informative piece, which in my mind, was intent on opening our eyes and enticing our compassion to the hardships that many immigrants face. What I really liked about this excerpt was how it was composed, not why it was written or what it was written to accomplish.

I loved the way that she wrote it. While the reading was somewhat dry and boring in some spots, I really enjoyed how she mixed in different lyrics, poems, pictures, or essay excerpts. I also really liked how she used examples of real life immigrant stories, some of which were historically and publicly documented. The way that she put all these devices into the context of her narrative impressed me and made the piece a little more bearable to read.

Also, I can kind of see a correlation in the way that she wrote the piece, and the point that i feel she was trying to make. Amidst her talk of passports as books, immigrants having difficulties and facing discrimination, and the pressure put upon them to assimilate, the way that she placed these interjections in her text helped to reinforce the view that immigration has and always will be a part of the American "culture." It creates the diversity that we are so well-known for, and as a nation, we should embrace it, and not try to erase or diminish this aspect of our country's population. By adding in many differnt types of media, she in a sense, creates a system of immigration within the text itself.

I don't know, I'm probably way off, but that was my initial response to the reading.

No comments: