Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Contact

Wow. I thought that I was confused when we read Williams, but Pratt has taken me to all new levels of befuddlement. I only got a chance to read this article once, which I'm sure does it and myself an injustice, so I'm counting on all of the discussion we have today to make the article mean a little bit more.

This article, as interesting as it is, I believe describes an everyday occurence that we just normally overlook. She brings into the light the "contact zone," where people of different races, ethnicities, cultures, and socioeconomic statuses can begin to have a dialogue with one another. I believe that in the world that we live in today this is a crucial piece that is missing in diplomacy. Every nation strives to see itself, and project an image of itself in the best light that it can. In this way, by not recognizing places where they have not been just and fair, these nations create a false image which is transferred from generation to generation forming an elite concept of people's societies.

Also, I think that the "contact zone" can in many ways offer new meanings to everyone. I think that in some cases, people are afraid of entering a contact zone, and thus are depriving themselves of a truly wonderful experience from which they could benefit so much. I very much agree with Pratt when she states that the exhilirating moments from the "contact zone" bring "wonder and revelation," and "mutual understanding and new wisdom." In the world that we live in today that is becoming increasingly global, we all have new chances to enter into "contact zones." There is no limit for us as to how much new wisdom we can gain. We begin here, but as we all move out to get jobs in the world, all of us will be entering "contact zones" daily. The only question for us is whether or not we will take advantage of that moment, recognize ours and our country's faults, and allow for those joys to be had.

Enough rambling. As a side-note, this article in many ways coincides for me with Angus. This may be a wrong perception, but I see these contact zones as related to the free speech that we discussed while on the Angus article.

No comments: