Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Paper 2 Overview

Let me start by saying that I apologize that I won't be in class with you guys today, but my stomach feels like it's knotting itself up and my head feels as if it's going to explode in 2.25 seconds! I hate being sick more than anything in this world, well almost anything...Although I'm not feeling the greatest, to say the least, I felt that I at least owed you guys, and girls, a little overview of what I think is going to go down here.

Okay, so I'm a little lost as to what our precise guidelines here are. I'm not real sure if we're supposed to use some of the essay(s) as part of our paper, but here's what I'm looking at so far.

My general ideas include language in its' every day use, language and how it's used in different cultures, language and it's effect, and language's help in the world's progression. Language and culture are somewhat interchangeable in that culture is directly connected with language and how it identifies a person and their history. Language is necessary for survival, not only in the same meaning as food, water, and oxygen, but in the sense that language and communication help us keep in touch with those that we love, those that we want to keep a watch on, and also the surrounding world and the events taking place. The importance of all of these things is influenced by our surroundings, or our culture. Culture spurs from language in that language gives us an identity so-to-speak, one in which we can be like "this is where i came from, what i've experienced, and what i believe in" that is unique not only with specific cultures, but sects of that culture depending on environment. This is basically all that I've got for now. I hope that it makes sense, and if not let me know in your comments because it might actually make me chuckle. Once again, I'm sorry I won't be in class, I wish I could be because it's my favorite, but I've somehow gotta make myself feel well for my 3 hour night class in which I can't miss because we have an exam next week:(.....Have a good one guys!

No comments: