Monday, October 31, 2005

Language - An Essential Element of a Human

Language is a part of every single person's life and you can never get away from it, no matter how hard you try, which is why I based my paper around that topic. I went off in a few directions such as what language means to a person, to a country, to the world, etc. Since Pratt’s essay involved the contact zone and how evident it is in every person’s life, I used some of her ideas involving what she calls a “speech community”. The “speech community” takes a deeper look at language and how people use this community as a place to exchange ideas through speaking, writing, and behavior.

I also found a section in Kumar’s essay about language which is talking about the differences of languages among different types of people. There are so many different cultures in this world, in which language makes up such a huge part of a culture, making this section of Kumar’s writing so unique.

The ideas that I found in Pratt and Kumar’s essays show the importance of language, which is supporting my argument of how imperative language is in everyone’s life.

I tried to revise my abstract, but I don't know if I got anywhere with it. I tried though. I won't be in class though(I'm not feeling well at all)...but I'll see you guys on Wednesday!

No comments: