Monday, October 17, 2005

Kim's Essay

I read over the assignment then came here to see what everyone else thought about it since I had mixed feelings and automatically agreed with Amber's reaction to it. I thought this was just another spiel about the hardships of minorities trying to make it in America and that the Koreans have it especially hard since they're even looked down upon by other minorities.

Then I looked up more about the Los Angeles Upheavals since I didn't remember exactly what had triggered the riots: The LA riots, or Rodney King Riots started April 29, 1992 after a mostly white jury aquitted four police officers accused of the videotaped beating of Rodney King. Mass looting, arson, and murder insued as mostly African Americans and Latinos rioted against the verdict.

There were events that led up to the targeting of Korean owned businesses during the riots, and those events caused the growing rift between Korean Americans and African Americans. (I'm in a tight spot here, so I'll discuss further in class!)

Anyway, I found it an outrage that when Kim sent in the essay for Newsweek the editor switched up her words so that it fit better with his views, and only when she threatened to withdraw the essay did the editor accept it as written. We are ignorant of many, many cultures other than our own and a couple others.

No comments: