Sunday, October 16, 2005

Elaine Kim' Essay

In the beginning of this article, my first reaction was "If you feel so damn perecuted and discriminated against, get the hell out." Her introduction and right on through the first two pages were basically just one big complaint about racism against the minorities. So, the Republican side of me immediately jumps into defense mode. People fought and died to make this country free to all, and many minorities get preferential treatment, so if its still not damn good enough, go home and see if its better there!

But as I pushed through this boring, very dull text, I tried to keep more of an open mind. When I got to the section "The Newsweek Experience" I started to change my mind, just a little. Kim stood by an essay that she believed in; an essay that she wrote because she saw a problem within her society and she attempted to excercise her First Amendment rights with an aim towards change. What's more American than that? What's more Democratic than that? And, as I read some of the things people wrote back to her, I made another realization. If the writer was a white male writing about the same subject, but geared towards reverse racism, would the response be the same? And if a black man wrote it, would the same following be criticizing or supporting him?

By the end of this essay, my mind was too full to think of anything other than Art History exam, French test, and the cheaters from Powderpuff this morning (Deatrick, you suck!) But that's the best I could do with this one right now. Have a good night y'all!

No comments: