Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Kumar

I sort of felt like this essay jumped around a lot. But one of the things that stuck out at me was the part when the script of Mr. Lee and Foster was explained. I never thought of it like that. It’s not just Foster’s language or just his country. However, some people would have said the same thing that Foster did or felt the same way he did. It says that “that should be obvious to the ordinary American viewer, except that it wasn’t obvious to everyone”. Some people take offense to the fact that someone of another race doesn’t know their language and is taking their money. However, in this case, Foster was rude about it. And although America isn’t his country alone, he didn’t think to say “our country” or “our language”, just like a lot of Americans wouldn’t think to say either.

Something else that stuck out at me was the line that said, “A shared language is an impossibility.” (Pg. 496) I don’t know what I really have to say about this quote, but it was interesting to me at the time, but I’m not sure I have thoughts that I can put together to explain why it’s interesting to me.

I guess I didn't really have a response to anything about the actual passport stuff, but that's not really what got my attention.

No comments: