Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Abstract

In my paper, I focused a lot on the concept of language. Language is a part of every single person's life and you can never get away from it, no matter how hard you try. I went off in a few directions with it, such as what language means to a person, to a country, to the world, etc. I useds bits and pieces of Pratt's essay involving the contact zone and how evident it is in everyone's life. She takes the contact zone deeper into language and what she calls "speech communities". In these speech communities, people exchange ideas through speaking, writing, and behavior.

I also used the language section of Kumar's essay to help support my paper. Kumar talks about the difference of languages among people. I used the example she wrote about from the film, "Falling Down", because it illustrates the concept of language very well.

I am not completely done my paper, because I need to extend a lot of my thoughts. But this is best as I can do for my abstract.

No comments: