Monday, October 24, 2005

kim

o no....I just wrote my blog and it was really good but the computer hates me and delted it when I tried to publish it and now I have to start over and write it again.
Kim uses historical examples to prove her point: That home is where the han is. She integrates her culture into the essay by using Korean words such as han, the sorrow and anger that grow from the accumulated experiences of oppression. She references historical events such as the Los Angeles riots, and the anti-Korean prejudices seen after it, the Japanese occupation of Korea and her own personal experiences with prejudice.
Kim tells of the los Angeles riots, how Korean properties were damaged, and how the law would not come to their aid. She also talks about the difficulties that Koreans faced when trying to become American. Then she goes on to tell about her personal experiences with prejudice, especially the hate mail she recieved after being published in Newsweek.
Kim implies in her essay that everyone who is not Korean is prejudiced against Koreans. In my own experience I have not seen this and this essay opened my eyes to the hardships Koreans face, especially in the U.S. I also learned some history, from Korea and the U.S.
The purpose of this essay was to change people's views about Koreans, this essay did not change my personal perceptions, becuase I am not the taret audience, but the arguments presented in this essay may be effective when used on the target audience, people who are prejudiced against people of Korean descent.

No comments: