Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Truth About Education

I think Douthat brings up a good point that education today is not a relection on learning but what an individual does to get good grades. I never really stopped to think of my purpose in getting a degree but now I realize my foremost goal really isnt learning. It is conforming to a role that society tells me will get a good job. Douthat shows that grades have risen over the decades not due to better students, but because society has changed. One can no longer get a good job without getting good grades. Teachers realize that a students future really is dependent on good grades in class and I have seen from personal experience that many have become lax in giving better grades. If the grading trend continues at the same rate, it seems that teachers will have to give out As to students just for showing up for class. I think this would be very likely. To try and correct the problem now would put the students of that institution at a disadvantage compared to all the other schools. If the outcome is an A for attendence, maybe learning would start to enter the picture again.

No comments: