Wednesday, September 26, 2007

NCLB

The No Child Left Behind Act is very controversial. I tend to agree more with Bracely and disagree with Carus. I feel that many people support the No Child Left Behind Act because who won’t support having all children proficient in math and reading. However, I do not think that the NCLB Act helps schools. Judging a school based on a standardize test is ridiculous in my opinion. I feel that one test does not determine the value of a school, especially when you have to account for students that are poor test takers or have disabilities. I realize that there are problems with our education system and that it does need improvement. I feel that the governments solution to this problem is not a solution at all. The government just says by 2014 everyone needs to be proficient. It does not give any help or advice to the school in how to accomplish this goal. It also does not make sense to “punish” the schools that are not proficient. The government should help these schools meet government standards. I also believe that more and more schools are going to start teaching to the test as opposed to a “normal” curriculum. This I disagree with because it you are preparing students for the real world and college it is not all based on a test. I believe that schools are more than a place to learn academics and that opportunities and activities offered at a particular school are just as important as the passing of a standardized test.

No comments: