Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My understanding of the issue of affirmative action is a jumbled mess of thoughts, ideas, and arguments I've collected and have used to understand the definition and purpose of affirmative action. In my opinion affirmative action is apart of the bias cycle from which it tries to break free. Even though affirmative action's purpose is to level the playing field it fails. It doesn't cure/aide the cultural sore spot that certain socioeconomic classes or races have a disadvantage but merely shifts the tension from one class/race to another. This just creates another layer of inequality. I remember the last year of high school we were given several surveys usually relating to our future plans for furthering our education. It always bothered me when they asked for my ethnicity and socioeconomic status. Why must race and socioeconomic be such an issue in terms of education? Rather than trying to please one people group why can we eliminate the race factor and look that each person as a student in the pursuit of education. Why can't we all be seen as students who are all teeming together in the same effort to better our lives with education?

No comments: