Saturday, September 22, 2007

Revising Affirmative Action

I agree with Ali that the current approach to affirmative action is openly racist. Beyond that, it's inefficient. The goal of affirmative action (at least as I see and through my understanding) is to assist underprivileged students in securing educational opportunities equal to that of well-off students. With this goal in mind, it's vital to remember that poverty is not a racial issue. There is certainly a correlation, but being poor does not make one black, just as being middle class or wealthy does not make one white. What I would like to propose is an affirmative action system based on socioeconomic area. I've seen middle-class, minority students receive grants and scholarships that could've and probably should've gone to economically disadvantaged students (who could've been of any race). How is it fair to a white student in inner city Philadelphia or Harrisburg to have a black student at Parkland or Cumberland Valley receive special treatment because of the assumption that black students are inherently screwed in the system? Yes, I know, long question. Sorry if the geographic references lost some people.
Am I suggesting that discrimination is no longer an issue in this country? Absolutely not. I recognize that many minority students, even once they get into a school of their choice, face bigoted viewpoints that can hinder their education. It sucks. Big time. I also recognize that many white students don’t appreciate the opportunity they have. For me, college wasn’t optional. My middle class family merely assumed that I’d go onto higher education. Of course, I couldn’t go to Harvard or Yale. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want too, either. For other families, the decision of post-secondary schooling isn’t so clear. Heck, post-elementary education isn’t always a guarantee. These disparities of opportunity are not synonymous with racial disparities, though. We need to reevaluate our approach to leveling the playing field.

No comments: