Thursday, September 27, 2007

I would agree that our system of education is in dire straits. I think that we must revise our foundation and completely reconfigure the mehtods used to build upon the said foundation. As I said in class I was homeschooled for my Jr. High years. Traditionally Homeschoolers don’t believe in tests. They endorse the philosophy that knowledge should be learned for the purpose of integrating into your life rather than proven its retention once for a test. I felt that I truly learned my material while I was homeschool because I was free to learn it rather than memorize it for a designated time. When I returned to public school regular tests didn’t phase me but when it came time for standardize tests I was freaked out. It wasn’t because I didn’t understand the information or that I was unfamiliar with how to study for or take a test, it was the fact that it was so rigid. Whenever I got one of those scantron sheets I felt like was academically under attack. I seemed like all the knowledge that I had ever learned was being stripped of its worth and integrity by my #2 pencil and those stupid bubbles. Instead of ranting for eons about all the aspects of knowledge that standardizes tests don’t show, I’ll just simply say that they are the bane of my existence and to think that our system of education will be dependent on them is beyond discouraging.

No comments: