Monday, September 24, 2007

Back to the Pot Calling the Kettle Black.

Out of the three readings for this past assignment I believe the most compelling was that of Stanely Fish. When i first started to read this passage I thouhgt to myself, "This guy is crazy why does he think its ok for Blacks to be chosen over Whites!" I come from an all white school with all white teachers, however, for about two years I went to a school in which white people were in the minority, at least thats how it appeared to me, I'm not sure if thats an accurate statement. My point is I was able to see the views of "whites vs. blacks", if u will from, two very different communities. In my all white school we never thought about racism, it was never a topic that we discussed, because obviously it wasn't a factor. In the other school however, i was introduced to the world of racism in which we now certainly do live. From the blacks we would hear complaints of discrimination when a student got a bad test grade, whether jokingly or not. From the white students we would hear complaints of black students getting special treatment.
And i realized after reading this text that arguments about discrimination and special treatment only help to further divide us as a nation. I think both white people and black people should as they say, "grow-up" and just get over it!

No comments: