Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My father is an alien



Growing up my friends would often ask why my dad was different than me but I never really noticed anything wierd about him. They would say that he talked funny and looked different than me. One day my friend Jon-Jon asked me what it was like having an alien as a daddy. I laughed but realized he was dead serious. He said that he had heard his parents talking and they said my dad was an alien. So I went home and told my mom the horrible news since I assumed she had been duped, that she had married a martian. She smiled and told my dad and he explained to me that since he was from another country he was considered an alien to this country just like how Martians are aliens to our planet. He showed me his green card which is actually pink and explained to me what it meant.
It took me many years after that day to fully understand the significance of that piece of lamanated paper he held in his hands.While doing research for the illegal immigration paper I stumbled across a lot of reports of people saying that the reason why there are so many illegal immigrants is becuase it is so difficult to become legal. Many people can only dream of getting their hands on green cards and I realized how lucky my father was to get one. So after doing so much research on illegal immigration I would like to study the opposite end of the spectrum, the process of how to become a legal immigrant. I would research the many types of visas there are both temporary and permant and the steps involved in become a natuarlized citizen.

Edit: After searching for more articles on green cards and immigration I found this one interesting website that portrays "do it yourself immigration." The website sells kits for people who are trying to get green cards, visas or citizenship legally. The kits include step by step instructions on how one can gain legal entrance into the U.S.A for a mere $60. One of the kits is made for people marrying a U.S. citizen and this reminded me of the movie Green Card which is about an annoying Frenchman who marries an American woman that he does not know so that he can gain a green card. So after looking into all of this I definatly want to include the extent of money and time that some people are willing to spend in order to gain residence in the U.S.

No comments: