Wednesday, November 08, 2006

As We Look at This Thing Called "Us"

Lately I've been thinking about the tattoo that I am hoping to get for my birthday (December 9th, yeah!) and it led me to ponder other types of prints. As I'm writing this blog, I am watching Spaceballs- you know, the Mel Brooks movie that spoofs Star Wars. There is a joke throughout the movie that consists of "Spaceballs: The Move" being printed on all different kinds of merchandise. The current "print" I am reading is Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk. I enjoy reading his work because his writing is so fresh, edgy, and controversial. Many of the elements in his stories are disturbing or obscene, and for some reason I am attracted to that kind of writing. Regardless, many other people are drawn to this sort of element. All of this questioning about "prints" steered me towards the media, which opened up an entirely new can of worms; why do the news and media include some groups and exclude others? Television shows such as South Park and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart are based on combining several different elements to draw viewers in: current events, humor, and personal bias. Exclusions are constantly being made in the media, even if it is only for entertainment value, and the viewpoints of the producers and those involved are impressed upon observers. Think of something as simple video games; children are trained from the very first level to automatically judge the “enemy” and to prevent them from interfering with your own person goal. Take note, I am by no means bashing video games; I absolutely love them and this is only serving the purpose of an example. What factor determines who is to be included and who is excluded in the media? I find it interesting what constitutes “who belongs”, and what defines “us”. Apparently, it depends upon whom you ask and the circumstances of the situation. I came across a few interesting things that relate to my possible topic: the rule of exclusion in the news, an article that discusses how the media influences gender roles and how things may change in the upcoming decade, an article discussing the media in Hungary and how they broadcast an imaginary and "happy" image, and this is only the beginning. The media is the largest form of communication across the world. Beginning in preschool, children are taught to accept everyone for who they are and that everybody is different.. but is that truly how America, as a whole, feels?

No comments: